One Year, Part One - Leaps Of Faith


On March 30, 2022 Ashley and I will celebrate our first year of living in Costa Rica. As we approach that date, I wanted to take a series of articles to review our first year living as ex-patriots. So many unknowns. So many angels. So much growth.

In this first piece I’m going to cover the lead up to the leap. What happened? Why did we do it? What were we expecting? Join me on this journey and find out…

 

Death, Moves, A Breakdown and the Pandemic

The real roots of this story began in the winter of 2017. After taking another leap of faith into the Harley-Davidson motorcycle business in February 2012, I left my incredible learning ground at Woodstock Harley-Davidson in Illinois and returned to where I grew up in Philadelphia’s Delaware Valley. I accepted a promotion from Assistant Sales Manager at Woodstock to General Sales Manager at Rommel Harley-Davidson in New Castle, Delaware. My real desire to return home was driven by the serious illness of my lifelong friend Gary. He was battling Stage 4 throat cancer and I wanted to be near him during that time. I’m incredibly proud of our team at Rommel Harley-Davidson, New Castle. They committed to the rebuilding program I put it place and made an incredible effort to become Cardone University Master Sales Certified. The entire team achieved this distinction, and it was reflected in the numbers and in the culture. During this time, Ashley’s successful Harley marketing experience became known and she was selected to run the marketing operation for six stores. Unfortunately, this is where the good news would end for quite a while.



The situation at Rommel deteriorated under very poor leadership. My friend Gary passed away in May of 2018. About a month later, we discovered that another member of my childhood posse had also passed away that April. There is another whole story wrapped around Joe’s passing, in that he is the third ex-husband of accused “Doomsday Cult Mom” Lori Vallow.

The Rommel situation became untenable, so in the summer of 2018 I began investigating new leadership opportunities elsewhere.

I connected with High Country Harley-Davidson in Frederick, Colorado and interviewed with them in August. I earned the job and started with HCHD in October of 2018. A real bonus was that Ashley would get to be close to her family for the first time in twenty-five years. Unfortunately, the six months at High Country became a very very dark time for me. Promises were made. Lies were told. I languished, became depressed and in six months it was over. When I parted ways with those folks, I cratered. I experienced panic attacks for the first time. I cried. A lot. I had a nervous breakdown. I got lost. Little did I know, this was a new beginning.



After four months of recovery and discovery I had changed. I wanted to sell, but not manage anyone or anything other than myself and my customers. While I was recovering, Ashley got a position at Greeley Harley-Davidson. I was employing quite a bit of wind therapy in the mountains of Colorado at this point, and that came with some “hangin around the shop” along with it.

 After numerous chats with Taylor the General Sales Manager, I joined the sales team at Greeley. Unlike the poorly run High Country, Greeley had experienced and engaged ownership/management, a very friendly atmosphere and the added benefit of a comprehensive power sports selection in addition to the Harley line. I sold a bike my first day! I loved what I did, but the toll had been taken. Ashley shined in her sales position (duh!) and was promoted to Finance Manager as quickly as anyone I’ve ever seen. Then came the pestilence.

The dreaded and enduring COVID-19 hit us before anyone was quite sure what was going on. It hit before they even had a test for it. She was presumptively diagnosed with COVID in February 2020. Ashely got very sick, and we were both quarantined. She got better. I never got sick. However, the world did. Ashley became the only working Finance Manager at a vehicle dealership desperately trying to survive crazy operating rules and restrictions. I had to work from home.

Ash was a one woman show and quickly became exhausted. I was approaching my 62nd birthday and burning out fast. Something was going to give.

 

“Why Don’t You Just Retire?”



I’ve always stayed tight with important friends. My childhood friend Rick and I were chatting about shit and I shared how I was feeling with him. Rick listens and says, “Why don’t you just retire?” This thought had never even occurred to me. I said, what the fuck are you talking about? Rick went on to point out that I was turning 62 and could take early social security retirement if I chose to do so. That lit a spark. A week later I’m chatting with my great college friend Dino. After sharing my feelings with him, Dino says, “Why don’t you just retire? I did.” Now my wheels are spinning, and my awareness of angelic intervention was acute. Dino shares his story, along with some things to be aware of when taking early retirement. I research it, weigh the pros, cons and realities and decide to talk with Ashley about it. We chat, she supports the idea, and a decision is made. I officially retired on July 1, 2020. I’m now on a fixed income in a pandemic. Ash is killing herself at work during all this shit for twelve hours a day and I’m home alone.

The pestilence continues with no end in sight. Retirement without my partner sucks. I’m bored and have WAY to much time to think. Normally as an alcoholic that is a recipe for disaster. In this case it really worked out!

 

“How Would You Feel About Retiring And Moving To Costa Rica?”




After a summer of COVID and converting to a fixed income for me, new realities began to emerge. To make ends meet Ash would need to bust her ass in perpetuity. I would need to work. I decided to pursue a part time position with The Green Solution (Retail Medical/Recreational Cannabis). I secured my license and went to work for them. Great company and work environment. The hands-on ability to help people every day was rewarding, and the employee discount didn’t suck either.

I learned so much about cannabis that I’ve eliminated all manmade pharmaceuticals from my life. Much more on that in an upcoming post.

Over the years I had pondered retirement. I’ve never been afraid of new experiences (I’ve lived in New Jersey, Kentucky, Florida, New Mexico, Texas, Ohio, Illinois, Delaware and Colorado). The idea of Costa Rica had been floating around in my head for years. Friendly people. Incredible nature. Affordable… With money tight, Ash worn out and me ending up having to work anyway, a leap of faith took shape. I decided to ask my wife a question. The question was “How would you feel about retiring and moving to Costa Rica?” Ash has never been afraid of new places and experiences either, but her answer was legendary anyway. She looked at me and said, “Well, when were you thinking?” She began her own exploration and investigation. She became all-in. We’re talking to the kids, completely leaving the workforce, selling all our shit and moving to a country neither one of us has ever spent time in before. Sounds crazy. Sounds impulsive. Fuck it, we’re going!!! God I love us…

 

Everything Has Gotta Go!




We’re typical U.S. citizens and hard-working folks who have acquired quite a bit of stuff. However, with the moves preceding this one we had already pared down from when we were raising kids in a four-bedroom home. That said, we still had a lot of shit. Now it had to go. Ashley became the Queen of Poshmark. Our Harley wardrobes were big sellers. The dealership purchased Ashley’s Heritage Softail. I sold my Ultra Limited to a private party. We sold our guns. I sold all my H-D memorabilia. Our newly purchased in Colorado furniture was sold to close family who are just starting their life together. Kitchen stuff went to them too! Most of my hat collection? Gone. My Harley belt buckle collection? Gone. Our stress? Going down with everything we sell. Car? Surrendered it. Phones? Bought them out. Transportation plan? Done. Place to live? Researched, selected, lease signed. Residency paperwork? Started in advance. Harmonicas packed (This decision will become instrumental (pun intended) in my Year One story later on).

 

The Farewell Tour



Our time in Fort Collins came to an end in late March 2021. Our wonderful fur babies Gidget and Gretchen were coming on this new adventure with us. Rather than put them through multiple flights and to avoid complications, we decided to rent a Ford F-150 and drive to Los Angeles. On our way, we planned to see our Tyrrell family in Las Vegas and got to meet the wonderful Josie Wales Tyrrell for the first time. We drove through Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona and Nevada during winter and saw the beauty of our home country up close. All of our Tyrrell family were there, including my bestie Mike. We enjoyed a perfect visit and were soon back on the road to LAX.

The time has come. We have four giant suitcases, two giant dog kennels with two giant dogs, stuffed backpacks and tons of nervous excitement. Too late to turn back. Dogs are loaded. Sittin in First Class. Wheels are up. Next up it’s Sandals On The Ground


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPTIMISM REDUX

MAKE UP YOUR MIND AND IMPROVE YOUR SALES - PART 2

PASSION IS EVERYTHING: A REFRESHER ON WHAT MAKES WORK PLAY